Sunday, August 2, 2009

Paul McCartney - FedEx Field - 8/1/09

I never thought I'd see Paul McCartney in concert or anywhere for that matter. But when tickets magically appeared in my hands at the low low price of free, I was on my way! He puts on one hell of a show for someone who is 67-years-old. He was all fired up from start to finish and I was yawning by the end. Go figure. During the show he worked in some stories about the Beatles which everyone ate up.

Clearly the music was great with his amazing backing band featuring a large Samoan gentlemen on the drums. He was also the only non-white dude in the place who wasn't working. That's a weird feeling for me: to see so many white people in one place makes me uncomfortable... it's kind of like the University of Delaware.

I'm real happy I went and not just because I like the Beatles but because of the shear amount of music history that rests on his shoulders. An icon, legend and international superstar are just 3 of the many ways to describe him. Good times were had by all!

Set list stolen from the Baltimore Sun:

1. Drive My Car
2. Jet
3. Only Mama Knows
4. Flaming Pie
5. Got to Get You Into My Life
6. Let Me Roll It
7. Foxy Lady (instrumental jam)
8. Highway
9. The Long and Winding Road
10. My Love
11. Blackbird
12. Here Today
13. Dance Tonight
14. Calico Skies
15. Michelle
16. Mrs. Vandebilt
17. Eleanor Rigby
18. Sing the Changes
19. Band On the Run
20. Back in the U.S.S.R.
21. I'm Down
22. Something
23. I've Got a Feeling
24. Paperback Writer
25. A Day in the Life
26. Let It Be
27. Live And Let Die
28. Hey Jude

Encore

Day Tripper
Lady Madonna
I Saw Her Standing There
Yesterday
Helter Skelter
Get Back
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (reprise)
The End

2 comments:

jessica said...

i think it's strange and maybe a litte sad that he has to/played so many beatles songs.


more than a little sad, in fact.

i'm pretty sure he's my least favorite anyway.

Graber said...

really?! that surprises me, but not really. anyway, we all know ringo sucked. if they had the fat Samoan dude who played with Paul, they could have been bigger than The Beatles!