Thursday, July 30, 2009

Don't You Hate Pants?!

Gabe forwarded this to me because he knows of my disdain for pants, or as Mexicans call them, "pantalones."

""This is not a case about me wearing pants."

-- Lubna Hussein,

a Sudanese female journalist facing 40 lashes for wearing trousers in public in violation of the country's strict Islamic laws, who told a packed Khartoum courtroom July 29 she is resigning from a UN job that grants her immunity so she can challenge the law on women's public dress code. "This is a case about annulling the article that addresses women's dress code, under the title of indecent acts. This is my battle. This article is against the constitution and even against Islamic law itself," said Hussein. Of the 13 women including Hussein arrested July 3 in a raid by members of the public order police force all but three of the women were flogged at a police station two days later. Hussein's defense lawyer, Nabil Adeeb, said the UN wanted to protect its staff, but Hussein, who works in the media department of the UN Mission in Sudan and contributes opinion pieces to a left-leaning Khartoum newspaper, wanted her trial to proceed."

We take a lot of things for granted here in the US of A, and I think this is a good reminder of how easy we have it. Wish I could expand more but I left a pair of pants burning in the other room and I have to make sure the carpet doesn't catch fire too...

No comments: