Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Rock On: An Office Power Ballad

We have an inner monologue that constantly takes place. I hope. Ok, maybe I'm just completley nuts, but that's what we've assumed all along.

Rock On: An Office Power Ballad by Dan Kennedy basically follows his story and rambling mind as he's hired to a major record label (Atlantic) in 2002. I think it's great look inside of a machine that we know is broken and ugly.

He's hysterical and I think I can sort of relate as someone who got into a business that looked great from the outside and once I got in, I've become disappointed... almost immediately.

However, I do find something very tiring about his whole self-neurotic a.d.d. inner monologue, in which he questions almost everything he does or says to anyone on any subject.

The highlight for me aside from the chapter titles are his lists. I love lists and at different points in the book he drops a list on us.

For instance: while trying not to fall victim to a sad song and maybe crying, being sung by a artist wanting to be signed, he distracts himself by building a list in his head:

"Ineffective Names for a Hardcore Death Metal Band"
  • Light Tropical Storm
  • The Peppermint Twists
  • The Trolleymen
  • Fine Living
  • Gene Doubleday and the Fall River Players
  • Hoopla!
  • West Burlington Death Metal Combo
  • The Ginger Snaps
  • Scrimshaw
After the chapter where he talks about shooting a commercial for Fat Joe:

"Inappropriate Greetings and Salutations for Middle-Aged White Record Executives to Exchange"
  • Hello, Dawg.
  • What is up, my niggaz?
  • Respec (sic).
  • True dat.
  • Steve from accounts payable is a hater, yo.
ANYWAYS... good read.

1 comment:

Kface said...

Sounds very High Fidelity...