Monday, January 26, 2009

Reel Big Fish - 9:30 Club - 1/25/09

I've seen Reel Big Fish every year since 2004. I've seen them at the 9:30 Club, Warped Tour, Roseland Ballroom and even the all-purpose room in the Livingston Student Center at Rutgers, and they've killed it every single time.

There are some bands that after you see them once or twice, that's enough, but I love seeing RBF live. They're just an awesome party band. I know I'm going to have fun when I see them and they don't disappoint.

Actually - let me quasi-retract that last statement. See, RBF is out right now with Streetlight Manifesto promoting their new album, "Fame, Fortune and Fornication," only having approximately 1 of the 3 in their lives today. It's an '80 covers album. They're obsessed with the '80s - see: one of their biggest hits, Take On Me. BUT - they're core audience remains at relativley young age - think 19, maybe even younger.

So who'd they make this album for? Let me tell you, "Veronica Sawyer" by Edna's Goldfish and even "Nothin' But a Good Time" by Poison is completley lost on the kids. Half of them barley recognize Metallica's "Enter Sandman," all of which they performed.

They're last 2 albums, "F,F+F" and "Monkey's For Nothin' and the Chimps For Free" (another lame '80s reference) sucked. There, I said it.

But the thing is, if they never put out another album again, I would still go see them every year.

Oh yeah - Streetlight Manifesto's fan base is bigger than most realize and one day, they'll be bigger than RBF.

It was a good show and I really needed it - more on that maybe, I doubt it.

Peace.

3 comments:

Ross said...

oh yeah and that gay ass nonsense during the encore that was pretty cool.. i sure like rbf dont get me wrong but sometimes i wonder what the problem is between aaron and andy

Jenny said...

They covered Edna's Goldfish???

Graber said...

who's andy? and yes Jenny, an Edna's Goldfish cover is on the new album which I will not be buying.