Sunday, December 7, 2008

Rise Against / Nightwatchman / Bouncing Souls

I bought 3 CD's (recently).

Rise Against - Appeal To Reason

I love R.A. so I was excited for the album. It definitely has a bigger pop feel than there previous two albums(Siren Song of the Counter Culture and The Sufferer & The Witness), of which I consider some of my favorites. For some reason, nothing is sticking to me with this one.

I like "The Dirt Whispered" the most after having it in my car for several weeks. The opening track, "Collapse (Post-Amerika)" is alright and I believe it ends Rise Against's streak of great opening tracks - (see "Black Masks & Gasoline," "State of the Union" and "Chamber the Cartridge"). The second single "Re-Education (Through Labor)" is slightly catchy.

Chris Chasse is no longer with the band - he played guitar and some dude named Zach Blair is in. This is clearly not the reason the album falls short but is of note. This band has always been and will always be Tim McIlrath's band.

The Bouncing Souls - The Gold Record

I understand that this album came out in 2006. I'm way late on the intake with this one, but better late than never. This album rules. I heard people say it for a long time, but after Pandora continually suggested "Sounds of the City" and I continually liked it, I knew I'd be buying the album.

"The Gold Song," "Sarah Saturday," "Lean on Sheena" and The Kinks cover "Better Things" all rule. And this is only after less than 24 hours of rotation in the Civic. I think there's something to be said for mostly carefree, toe-tapping, fun-themed, sing-a-long friendly, makes you wanna throw your hands up and scream rock & roll.

I don't do ratings but if I did this would get an A+.

Tom Morello / The Nightwatchman - Fabled City

I didn't make an effort to listen to Zach de la Rocha's solo project. I didn't think it would be any good and from what I've heard other people say, I made a good call. Tom Morello is just a cool dude, and after hearing a few tracks during a radio interview some of it sounded good. Some of it sounded like he drew a fair amount from Bob Dylan. I'm such a sucker for harmonica, it's not even fair.

I need to give it a couple more listens, but after one or two listens, it has plenty of potential. "Whatever It Takes" is a quick favorite and we'll see where it ends up in my heart.

-----
ok. don't buy music from iTunes, buy CDs. That is all.

1 comment:

Ross said...

ok so lets see if "crazed blink182" fan responds to this one... it would be interesting to see what she may or may not have to say on a die hard blink182 fan's post blink era listening... and on a slightly less weird note i must get copies of at least the nightwatchmen and the bouncing souls even though all three would be great and if you remind me i will bring you the new hold steady