Tuesday, January 8, 2008

They've Gone and Ruined American Gladiators

Jesus may have died for you, but I watched the new American Gladiators for you. Jesus got off easy. If anyone was excited to see the resurrection of one of the greatest television physical contests, it was me. American Gladiators disappeared in 1996, and the only solid physical contest to be televised in between is Ninja Warrior. (Legends of the Hidden the Temple finished in 1995, or it would have been numero uno) So needless to say there was some anticipation building up. The show is hosted by Hulk Hogan and Laila Ali, so it had potential as well. The stage was set, all things looked to be in order and then BAM: let down of the year… so far.

First off, the contestants don’t need to be heroes with back stories. This ain’t American Idol, it’s about beating people up, plain and simple. I don't care where Joe Contestant is from let alone what he does for a living and what he needs $100,000 for. Then they interview the contenders non-stop as if they have anything of value to say. The camera angles are crazy too. Just give me one camera angle where I can see everything I need to. The more you move the camera around, the more likely I am to catch vertigo in my living room. Whats the deal with all the sparks flying around while they're competing? If I were a contender, I’d be pissed that I was always getting wet whenever I fell off an elevated object and had to continue competing while slightly damp. (leads to swamp ass...) The one cool thing is that the Eliminator looks better than the original. It appears that anything really can happen when two people go head to head on it and is quite tiresome.

In closing, the new American Gladiators is a total failure and Hulk Hogan disappoints just like when he lost his title to The Undertaker at Survivor Series in 1991. Yeah, I went there.

Stick with Ninja Warrior kids…

2 comments:

Emma said...

I used to LOVE that show! I forgot it even existed! That's a shame it sucks now though..

Allie said...

i watched it in a bar on mute...it's not bad on mute if you're preoccupied. i guess that speaks volumes for the show.