Monday, November 5, 2007

I Don't Hate Terrell Owens


Before I begin I’m already hated by the reader. Please read the title of this again and take this into account: I don’t like the guy, but I don’t hate him. And that’s really the point. Yes, he’s a jackass, yes he’s a douche bag, yes he’s a distraction to his team, yes he’s arguably the most hated player in the NFL (giving Mike Vanderjagt a run for his money when he was still playing), but I don’t hate him.

T.O. is great for the game of football. He’s really good, and people don’t like that. Well, unless you’re Peyton Manning and willing to sell your soul to the corporate devil to advertise credit cards, cell phones, video games, DirecTV, and probably eventually tampons. All you nay-sayers might think that his off-field antics are distracting from the game, and you’re right. Sure he tried to “kill himself” in September 2006 but you’re not looking at that clearly:

1. If you really hated T.O. then that shouldn’t matter to you, so don’t feed the media hype.

and

2. He was wasted and decided to pop some pain-killers. NFL players get tested for drugs so he created his own concoction, unfortunately for him, someone tried to wake him up and that didn’t go over so well and called 911. Shit happens.

T.O.’s onfield antics are also great for the game. So what that T.O. has the balls to scream at his QB and coaches on the sideline during the game… they aren’t going to yell at themselves. But really what about his celebrations? Signing the ball with a sharpie, borrowing the cheerleaders pom-poms (it’s not like he dated them, cough-Chris Cooley-cough), mocking Ray Lewis (as dangerous as making fun of Suge Knight), standing on the cowboys star (pictured above), and even most recently doing the Bird Flap Dance against Philly at Philly yesterday. It’s all good, and if you don’t like it, chances are, you never caught a TD pass in the NFL. You don’t even want to think what I’d do if it were me…

Anyways, I know I’ve lost tons of my street cred (since you know I’ve got an ample supply) which officially makes Hostess Cupcakes cooler than I. I will never root for the guy, especially since he plays for Dallas. My allegiance is to the Skins and it has never been stronger. But here’s the bottom line: T.O. is a jackass, but I do not hate him.

Go Skins and sorry…

1 comment:

ruknight10 said...

Mr. Graber, I am enthralled with your blog so far. I am very intrigued to see that you have fought through that thick layer of criticism to see the real Terrell Owens because I personally have not. Even though I don't understand you, you will always still be the same "B-9" to me, snapping that ball next to your creamy hamstrings, waiting it for it to return to you so you can spin so carelessly in the wind. We can discuss more about T.O. the next time we see each other, possibly over a game of rushing attack. 'Til next time.


your yellow brotha