Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Against Me! in DC!


Last night I went down to the 9:30 club to see Against Me! for the first time ever. Bottom line: fucking amazing!

When we got there, The World Inferno Friendship Society was still on stage. Now I've heard them before, I've even played them on my radio show back when, but I've never seen them live either. It was enjoyable, it felt kind of like the circus was in town, but they were pretty good.

Next up was Sage Francis. He's a big, fat, bearded, bald, dude from Rhode Island, who 'raps.' Also incorporating slam-poetry style jaunz with singing and jokes. I like him too. You can hear his stuff here.

But then Against Me! played. And that's exactly what they did. No talking to the crowd except to announce some benefit show that was happening somewhere in DC, but they got on stage and just whooped everyones ass for about an hour and a half. The 9:30 club can hold about 1200 people I think and I'd say it was about 80% full. That could also be because the doors were at 4pm. I was home by 10pm, so that's just fine in my book. I wish I could tell you the set list, but New Wave is the first Against Me! album I actually own. But from New Wave, they played:
  • New Wave
  • Stop
  • Ocean
  • Up The Cuts
  • Americans Abroad
  • White People For Peace
  • Thrash Unreal
Overall, I was super impressed and would totally go see them again in a second. They are easily one of the best live bands I've seen, they kick a lot of ass live, and on record for that matter and I feel like a better person for going.

1 comment:

Allie said...

world/inferno was one of the funnest shows i've ever been to...i saw them on a booze cruise around nyc and a few other shows too